The Oberen Family make their way into the secret entrance they found on Cathedral Island, only to quickly find themselves in a very treacherous sewer. Everyone ends up covered in filth by the time they exit the sewer and arrive at a set up steps that lead down to a forgotten catacomb of the church.
Immediately, they find a makeshift office of Alexia’s and meet the girl face-to-face for the first time. She hides little of her plans to restore the entire coven to life and punish the wicked city that murdered her mother. Charles tries to rush the young girl, only find her an accomplished magic user. He nearly crushes poor Fabian, whose caught behind his heavily armored brother. Alexia makes her retreat, leaving the party to figure their own way out of the catacombs.
The following bits of info are found in Alexia’s lair
Stack of Papers
- One piece of paper has a list of names on it: M. Monsonata, K. Sylva, H. Gadock, R. Sunbright, H. Hopless, S. Burkett, and C. Fullet. These were the seven jurors in the trial of the Corvis coven. Each name has a neat, methodical checkmark by it.
- Below the juror’s names is the note Executioner?? Borloch’s friend of the lightning eye.
- Another page has these notes: Execution sword… Ancient relic. Witchfire? Forged before Orgoth? How old? Drains, stores essence. Key to restoration. Who was executioner?
- A third paper has the beginning of a letter to Father Dumas. Dearest Uncle, I wish I could make you understand… Besides this, the page is empty.
Sheets of Parchment
Among a pile of pillows, there are sheets of parchment. Each has scrawled some mysterious, elaborate glyph labeled with a phrase.
- The Maker’s Sigil
The party find their way out of Alexia’s lair via a hidden passage and explore a hidden section of the cathedral catacombs. They discover the animated corpses of all seven jurors, as well as several plague victims buried here. All attack, just like those left in the tomb out in Widower’s Wood.
- A domed chamber lined with fine black marble arches over a decorative sarcophagus. The heavy stone lid bears a granite sculpture of a weeping griffon. The phrase “Temptation Begets Darkness Eternal” is carved repeatedly into the floor encircling the sarcophagus.
- The characters left this room undisturbed.
- A high domed ceiling, with soft light illuminating every corner. In the center of the room a marble statue of a man stands upon a three-foot tall dais. Lettering upon the marble dais reads, “Ulbrecht Sambert, Ascended 605 BR.”
- There was an intricate chest with a golden ring inside. The inside of the ring is engraved with the saying, “To follow in his footsteps,” which is a common expression in the Church of Morrow. The party took the ring
- There was a long-dead body in the room, believed to be a religious man. Fabian Oberen placed the body in a burial pose and said some words.
- The party found piles of dead bodies with iron plates around their neck that read PLAGUE.
- Six doors were nailed shut. The party opted to leave them that way.
- Beyond a room filled with piles of dead bodies with iron plates around their neck that read PLAGUE, the party found a locked door that led to the maintained portion of the catacombs under the church.
Making their way out of the catacombs and church, the party was stopped by a figure in the fog shouting “Halt!”
- Gain 1 XP for participating in the session
- Gain 1 XP teamwork and good roleplaying
- Gain 1 XP for a milestone
- One simple engraved gold band